Monday, November 13, 2006

Canada Under Fire


Okay, so I'm startin to sweat here in D-Town. I was put on the spot the other day by my boss...a very simple question, one I should have prepared for before leaving Canada: 'Name a famous Canadian that the world would mildly acknowledge as significant or better'. While I could name off the obvious icons like Wayne Gretzky, Neil Young, or P.E. Trudeau (which were disputed as being as big as Bono), I struggled with naming a Canadian intellectual -gasp! Somehow, Margaret Atwood just doesn't cut it. Help me out! Not that Bono is considered an intellectual, but 'Bigger than Bono'?...please this is killing me.
P.S. Roberta Bondar, and Lester B didn't make the cut and Alexander Graham Bell isn't heard of here.

(Note: I democratically enabled the comments option now, so post away people!)

4 comments:

poP said...

Leonard Cohen
Banting and Best
Mike Myers
The Mackenzie Brothers
Eddie Shack
poP

Arthur Insect Physiologist said...

Banting would be my first choice, certainly not Margaret Atwood! Shanaia Twain will be a good candidate too!

Unknown said...

Jim Carrey
Marshall McLuhan
Neil Young
John Candy
William Shatner
Emily Carr
Group of Seven
Douglas Coupland
James Cameron
and, as you well know
Roberta Bondar

Anonymous said...

wait did your boss say pearson and wasn't good enough? cause it sounds like i dont like your boss.

terry fox. dan akroyd.

and I am sorry bono is a _____. i just saw your pop wrote on thsi, so i am keeping it clean. you know what i meant though. and bell invented the telephone, what more do you want from someone. here you go www.cbc.ca/greatest. there was a whole tv special on this.

anyhoo. i am gonna continue to stew on this, i will respond again later.