Friday, January 25, 2008

Initial Sectional Sketch


Here's the first sketch of what I'm imagining for this tower's programmatic use. It's all over the place at first, but that's okay -- the program and design will change continuously throughout the semester. The first touches however include some key programs such as a public school which is apparently in high demand for Manhattan. Also, a bird sanctuary extends the atrium use at the center of the building, and yes that's right, there's a ferris wheel mid-height. I think it would be pretty sweet to have a ferris wheel go through the tower's central atrium, graze a bio-dome and then overlook all of New York City. When we all get our assigned sites, I want to try and negotiate with the group to design a continuous rides park including roller coasters, drop zones, and outdoor water slides as part of the an overall sub-scheme for our towers. At the very top of my tower, I'm still trying to come up with a fun use for the best seats in the house. Our prof was all smiles at the thought of a crematorium at the top of the building, thinking of people's remains getting sucked up into the wind turbines. Bad joke, but true story. At the moment I have an insane asylum, again, playing up the black irony of entrapment at the very summit of New York City. Other ideas: american gladiators gym, a slaughterhouse, or a playboy mansion. I think I'd better let this one stew for a bit longer...all suggestions are welcome -- the blacker the humour the better!

No comments: